UPGRADED to Black Dragon!
Black dragons drink lava instead of water! Black dragons only heal on healing stones/lava!
- Not to be confused with the King Dragon, the upgrade/rare variant of the Black Dragon.
- Upgrades from Land Monster, Sea Monster, Ice Monster, Dino Monster, or Giant Scorpion at 10M XP.
- Downgrades to Land Monster (if in the Volcano) Dino Monster (if in Land) Sea Monster (if in the Ocean), Ice Monster (if in the Arctic) or Giant Scorpion (if in the Desert) at 9.5M XP. The only way this happens is by being tail-bitten back to 9.5M.
- Reaches its maximum size at 40M XP.
- Unlocks Triple Fireball at 20M XP.
- Drinks lava instead of water.
- It will evolve into the King Dragon by killing the following apex tier animals;
- Can fly over everything, like the Dragon.
- Black Dragons are immune to ink and desert heat.
- Only heals with Healing Stones or by eating other animals.
- The Black Dragon has a passive ability where, if it's close by to another Black Dragon, it will lose health in intervals and be unable to use healing stones.
- There can only ever be 3 black dragons on a map at a time. If there is a fourth, similarly to the king dragon, the fourth dragon will be put into an arena battle.
The original version of the Black Dragon existed a long time ago. Very few unedited screenshots exist of it, but it might have had an ability that produced a stream of fire from its mouth. This ability is believed to have instantly destroyed any animal it touched, related to the King Dragon. This incredible power may have been the reason it was removed, and why the Black Dragon was so hard to get (possibly 100M XP) before it was removed.
The Black Dragon is like a larger version of the Dragon, except it has a black body and bat-like orange wings. It also has more details near the snout and along it’s back. However, if a Black Dragon is at low lava, its wings will turn from orange to grey, to a dark black. On it's back, there are three double-pointed spines. It has a devil's tail, and it is the first animal to be added whose eyes are shaped in ovals to look mad, even though it does not look very mad. The Black Dragon also has black nostrils.
Golden Black Dragon
The Golden Black Dragon looks similar to the Black Dragon, except it is gold. The ridges on its back are more noticeable, and defined a little more. The wings are slightly more pointy, branching off to the sides a bit. A main difference is that the Golden Black Dragon's face/snout is pointier than the others'.
The Azure Bringer has many spikes on its back, and the patterns there are mostly different shades of dark blue, even purple for some. The wings branch to the sides even more than the Golden Black Dragon, and the Azure Bringer's "devil's tail" looks like a 'T' with a point coming up. Initially was named Blue Dragon.
You should hang around the Volcano, as you survive by drinking lava. Use the big Healing Stone in the Lava if your health drops too low. You can also hunt this way, you can see if prey comes, and if some do, keep your tail in the Lava and shoot fire from them. Then use your increased speed in lava to your advantage. Cut through to get to them fast. Get in front of them and use the bubbling cauldron of death to trap them. However, distance yourself from other Black Dragons, as you won't be able to use it if another is too close.
A good way to get to 20M is to circle around the Volcano and eat Watermelons. You can easily get rid of competition with smaller animals, as you are faster than they are, although be careful with straying too far from the Volcano. With other Black Dragons, fight them and don't die.
Try not to go into the Ocean since you cannot dive and there will be a lot of tail-biters trying to dive under you and get you by surprise. Also since the Ocean is far away from the Volcano, you will have a harder time of healing if there are a lot of people teaming up.
As you have lots of XP, you should be wary of tail-biters. If anyone approaches your tail, turn around and attack them, and pursue them at all costs (each tail-bite makes you lose from 200K-400K XP).
Other Black Dragons may attack you. If this occurs, you will have to fight to the death if the volcano is erupting, otherwise avoid a fight by hiding in the volcano(All lava animals can hide in the volcano) unless you are a master of 1v1. Beware of the other Black Dragon's fire; try to use your own. Don't team because the anti-teaming damage and lava loss just isn't worth it; you'd literally take more damage teaming than fighting, unless you're right on top of the Volcano. (Use 1v1 arena if you don’t want to use fire. If they decline your request, use it.)
If you are at low HP, do not worry about animals that are Hippo (tier 13)or below, unless they are approaching your tail (their abilities can't kill you). If they are approaching your tail, turn quickly around and see if you can kill them to regain a bit of health. If you can't kill them, scare them off, and return to the Volcano and its big healing stone. Also, if you aren't paying attention to your lava, there is an obvious visual cue (your wings turn completely black) that you are low on lava, so then would be a great time to return to the Volcano.
Since the #GoldenAge update on December 23, 2019, through many platforms, the community expressed their extreme dislike that Black Dragons are easily able to be killed since the rarity of rares was extremely buffed.
Even since the rarity of rares was buffed a little more, there have been multiple complaints that Black Dragons have a challenge to survive from the many teaming rares, making it practically impossible to get to King Dragon. Additionally, the special ability of BDs are a poor match against those from the Dino Monster and T-REX.
- Before it was "officially" released, when animals did not have even tails, the Black Dragon used to upgrade at 10M (impossible to get, only berries/mushrooms/prey which gives minor xp). Then 100M when animals got tails/lakes were added/animals got minor detail (still very impossible to get, still berries/mushrooms/prey/lilypads). That was changed to 5M on December 1, 2016 (not-so-hard-to-get), and then back to 10M on April 9, 2017 (only a little bit hard).
- It and the King Dragon are currently the only animals that can truly "downgrade" without dying.
- If you activate the old texture, its eyes will not be connected to the body.
- In the update's image with the Black Dragon, the Black Dragon's name says "hey man".
- The Black Dragon and Land Monster are the only animals to have their old skin as a re-color of the Dragon.
- Black Dragon skin files get so big that the developers have to use a 1000x1000 image instead of a normal 500x500 image.
- The Black Dragon and King Dragon are the only animals that can eat breakable foods (foods with health bars) in one hit.
- Other than the Eagle, the Black Dragon has had the most skin-changes.
- It used to have an flying ability and a text that appeared when it reached 40M XP saying, "Whoa! You have grown so big, now you can fly-high in the Sky." It could only be used when the lava bar was full and would instantly decrease it down to half. This was accessible until the May 13, 2018 on Birds Invasion update.
- The Azure Bringer initially was named Blue Dragon. Then it renamed to current name.
- The scrapped BD was just a dragon with GREY skin and red spines, wings.
- If you played mope.io in 2016, regret the fact that you tried to get it because you've wasted 6 hours trying to get an animal that dosen't even exsist when in real life you will turn into a mouse trying to get a secret animal.
- When Black Dragon is getting little lava, his wings get more darker. Same thing happens with King Dragon.
- When the Desert biome was released in beta, if a Blackwidow Spider ate AI bait from its web, it would somehow achieve 22M XP and reach Black Dragon instantly.
- If you died as Black Dragon, you would spawn with 2.15B XP, which is the maximum amount that can be attained whilst playing.